The church struck back with this letter, sent through leader David Miscavige’s legal counsel, Jeffrey Riffer.
Here are the highlights:
- The letter states that Orth didn’t make a real effort to interview Miscavige and only left a voicemail.
- David Miscavige and Tom Cruise are far too busy to have as close of a relationship as Vanity Fair alleges, according to the letter. Orth’s article stated that Miscavige was ever-present in Tom Cruise’s marriage to Katie Holmes.
- The letter claims there are “Vanity Fair employees who know Mr. Miscavige personally, including a Vanity Fair employee who works for Mr. Miscavige in a professional capacity.” The unnamed VF staffer has supposedly worked for Miscavige for eight years.
- The article’s main sources, Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, are “a dynamic duo of lunatic venom and untrustworthy bile,” according to the letter.
- Finally, the letter says that “The sting of the jury verdict will last longer still; far longer than any pleasure from racing to publish a poorly researched and sourced story.”